Maryland HOT AIR BALLOON PILOT CERTIFICATION
Take classes to become certified to pilot a hot air balloon!
Give us a call for free info at
A Maryland hot air balloon flight can be uplifting; it may even steer you down a new path in life. One that will provide you peace and happiness floating through the skies! Maryland Balloon Rides offers aviators the ability to become certified to fly a hot air balloon.Glide through the skies, enjoying the serene views of the Old Line State! For individuals who may not be looking for anything more from their pilot certification than to have the liberty to fly whenever you wish, a private pilot's license will be right.
Train to be a licensed hot air balloon pilot in Maryland. Start your profession or a new hobby in ballooning now! 1-800-611-1298
The training will put you to the test, but you will have tons of fun throughout the adventure!
A Licensed Pilot in Maryland has completed ground school and flight training with a Certified Hot Air Balloon Commercial Pilot. This process consists of:
- Passing a Federal Aviation written examination:
- Topics covered in the flight theory test include:
- Meteorology: The study of weather patterns and how they will influence your air travel.
- Statics: Maneuvering procedures with gas and hot air balloons.
- Airmanship: General protocols in reference to flight.
- Navigation: Navigating your route throughout flight.
- Flight Rules and Procedures: FAA Regulations covering pilot rights, restrictions, and flight procedures.
- Code of Conduct
Ballooning Student Pilots in Maryland
Before you begin your training, you will need to obtain a student pilot's certification.
Student Ballooning Pilot Certificates in Maryland may be issued by FAA assessors or designated pilot supervisors.
Student pilots must be at least 14 years of age.
No medical documentation is called for, but applicant must certify that he/she has no known medical problem that would stop them from flying a balloon.
Show to the teacher that you understand pre-flight procedure, how to use the controls of the balloon, and how to safely land and takeoff in the balloon.
Student pilots are not permitted to give rides to guests until they have completed instruction.
Maryland Private Pilot Certification
- You must be at least 16 years of age to be eligible for a Maryland Private Pilot's Certificate.
- No medical certificate is required, but you must certify that you do not have any known medical defects that would prevent you from piloting a balloon.
- You must pass a written test that will cover:
- FAA Regulations covering pilot privileges, limitations, and flight procedures.
- Use of navigation charts.
- Weather conditions & reports as they relate to ballooning.
- Operating procedures with gas and hot air balloons.
- Flight Rules and Procedures
- Code of Conduct
- Must have at least 10 hours of flight experience, of which 6 must have been under the supervision of an instructor. Flights must have included:
- Tow flights of at least 30 minutes
- One ascent to 3000 feet above takeoff point
- One solo flight
Commercial Pilot Certification in Maryland
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- No medical certificate required, but you must certify that you do not have any known medical defects that would prevent you from piloting a balloon.
- You must pass a comprehensive written exam that encompasses all the material required for a Private Pilot Certificate in Maryland, and additional operating procedures relating to commercial operations and requirements for flight instructors.
- Training for all procedures required for a Maryland Private Certification must be received from an authorized instructor, plus emergency recovery from a terminal velocity descent.
Required 35 hours of flight time for a Maryland commercial certificate must include:
- At least 35 hours of flight time as a pilot.
- 20 hours of flight time in balloons.
- 6 hours of flight time under the supervision of an instructor.
- 2 solo flights.
- 2 flights of at least one hour duration.
- 1 flight to 5000 feet above the take off point.